Volleyball- Basic Violations
1. Stepping on or over the line on a serve.
2. Failure to serve the ball over the net successfully.
3. Hitting the ball illegally (carrying, palming, throwing, etc.)
4. Touches of the net with any part of the body while the ball is in play. If the ball is driven into the net with such force that it causes the net to contact an opposing player, no foul will be called, and the ball shall continue to be in play.
5. Reaching over the net, except in these conditions:
A. When executing a follow through.
6. Reaches under the net (if it interferes with the ball or opposing player)
7. Failure to serve in the correct order.
8. Blocks or spikes from a position which is clearly not behind the 10 foot line while in a back row position.
1. Ace- When the ball is served to the other team, and no one touches it.
2. Side out- When the team that served the ball makes a mistake, causing the ball to go to the other team.
3. Roof- When a player jumps above the height of the net, and blocks the ball.
4. Stuff- When a player jumps about the height of the net, blocks the ball, and the ball goes back to the person who attacked (spiked) the ball.
5. Dig- When a player makes a save from a difficult spike.
6. Kill- When a team spike the ball and it either lands as a point or a side out.
7. Bump- The ball is hot off the forearms with the hands together and the forearms side by side, used when the ball comes below the shoulders.
8. Set- The ball is hit off the fingertips when the ball is above the shoulders.