Here is the information directly from their website:
Fundations® is a multisensory and systematic phonics, spelling, and handwriting program that benefits all K-3 students. It also includes a supplementary activity set for Pre-K students. Fundations is designed as a whole-class, general education program used for prevention (Tier 1) purposes. It also can be taught in a small group or 1:1 setting for intervention (Tier 2).
- Thoroughly teaches the foundational skills, and significantly supports the reading, writing, and language standards, found in states’ rigorous college- and career-ready standards.
- Presents the following concepts and skills in a cumulative manner from Unit to Unit and year to year:
- Letter formation
- Phonological and phonemic awareness
- Sound mastery
- Phonics, word study, and advanced word study
- Irregular (trick) word instruction
- Comprehension strategies
- Written composition (spelling and handwriting)
- Integrates skill instruction so that a daily lesson teaches and then reinforces corresponding skills.
- Scaffolds learning while teaching all skills explicitly, sequentially, and systematically.
- Actively engages students in learning through the use of multisensory techniques, such as when teaching students sounds, their representative letters, and words with spelling options.
- Provides multiple opportunities for skills practice and application to build mastery.
- Monitors student learning through formative assessment tools built into the program.
- Includes comprehensive and teacher-friendly materials to facilitate teachers’ use of the program and promote student motivation.
- Guides teachers on how to meet individual student needs by differentiating instruction.
- Supports teachers through the online Wilson Learning Community, offering clear demonstrations of each teaching activity type used in the program.
- Helps teachers achieve many of the requirements of state, local, and professional standards.
- Encourages parental involvement through the use of the Fundations Home Support Packet.